3-D printing is about to save the military billions of dollars

A latrine wall for an old plane is a sign of things to come.


An Air Force F-16 is refueled over the Atlantic Ocean from a KC-135 tanker. (File photo Washington Post)


In my job, I get to see some amazing military technology: high-speed weapons that penetrate seemingly impregnable defenses and swarming microdrones dispensed from fighter jets. I keep mementos of these wonder weapons in my office. Something unusual just joined their ranks: a latrine panel from a C-5 Supergalaxy cargo plane.

It’s an odd-looking piece of molded plastic, about the size of a toaster, and its job containing wastewater is more necessary than cool. But I keep it in my office because it represents a significant advance in military parts purchasing. Using a 3-D printer, our Air Force engineers made this latrine panel for $300, saving $8,200, compared with the open market prices we once paid through the Defense Logistics Agency.